General Recording Information
Pursuant to NRS 7.285, the Recorder’s Office is forbidden to give legal advice; this includes advising what forms are needed or how to complete them.
Outline of Requirements
- Legibility: All documents must be clearly readable and capable of producing a legible imaged record.
- Parties: Names of parties to be indexed must be contained in the document.
- Names Under Signature: Names must be printed or typed under all signatures.
- Notary Acknowledgment: Documents affecting real property must be properly acknowledged.
- Title: Documents should be easily identifiable by a title.
- Assessor's Parcel Number (APN): Must be included on any document related to the transfer of real property.
- Return Address: This must be included.
- Non-Recordable Documents: This includes negotiable instruments (stocks, bonds, money), vital records such as birth or death certificates, passports, citizenship papers, copyrights, trademarks, or any other document not authorized by law.
- Affirmation Statement: Any document that contains a Social Security Number must have a statement stating law that allows for it.
- Legal Description: If a document includes a legal description of real property that is provided in metes and bounds, the document must include the name and mailing address of the person who prepared the legal description or the document number where the legal description previously appeared.
- Recording Label Requirement: 3" x 3" space is required in the upper right corner on the first page of every document.