When do I need a business license?
Lyon County Code states it is unlawful for any person, partnership, association, firm or corporation engaging in any trade, calling, service, profession, or business venture in Lyon County must first apply for and obtain a license or permit from the Lyon County Clerk/Treasurer's office.
This would exclude 1) all multi-level marketing businesses such as Avon, Amway, Shaklee, Candlelight, Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, etc., 2) those persons setting up for special events sponsored by the city or county, 3) those persons selling under the umbrella of a flea or farmer’s market or 4) any private individual who has no more than five (5) garage sales a year.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a business license?
2. Do I need to go the Department of Taxation first?
3. How much will a business license cost me?
4. When do I need to file a Fictitious Firm Name?
5. Which inspections do I need and do I need them if I am running a business from my home?
6. How do I calculate number of employees, does this include leased or part-time employees?
7. Is a husband and wife considered a sole proprietorship?
8. Do I need to notify you if I close my business?
9. I don’t have any children, do I still need to complete the “CHILD SUPPORT” form?
10. What other requirements do I need?
11. Where do I get a federal identification number?
12. When do I need to fill out a renewal form to update my license?
13. Are the business license fees pro-rated?
14. When are fees due?
15. What if I have no employees, do I still need to complete the ‘Affirmation of Compliance?